Monday, June 12, 2006

The cost of medical school

Medical school isn't cheap.

I absolutely HATE the idea of being in debt, but UMKC's medical program came with a steep price tag, and once I was accepted, there was no looking back. So for the past four years (when I could have been enjoying a free ride elsewhere), I have steadily racked up mountains and mountains of d-e-b-t, all in some vain struggle to get a couple of letters tacked onto the end of my name. When I think about the amount of money I've invested in this endeavor to date - money that I don't have - it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

This afternoon, I called the company that I get my student loans from in order to lock in as low of an interest rate as would likely ever be possible on my current loans (the rate will increase by 40% next year). I envisioned that the process would be rather tedious, but much to my surprise, the call went much more easily than I had anticipated. Chalk it up to good customer service...

I spent 1 hour, 13 minutes, and 34 seconds on the phone (about 15 minutes of which was spent on hold). The rest of the time I spent chatting with a delightful customer service representative named Tiana, mother to a two-year-old future neurosurgeon. Terrible as it may sound, the idle banter we exchanged while she was busy inputting information into her computer was the most pleasing conversation I can remember having with anyone for a long time.

How sad is that? An hour of small talk with a telemarketer is a success story.

*sigh*

3 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

lucas, can you tell e-mail me and tell me who you consolidated with? Was it your Federal ones or the Year 1 and 2 access loans? Thanks!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I like when my friends remind me that I could have bought a house with the money I have/will borrow....and a nice house at that. :)

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Samantula said...

uh oh, sounds like someone needs some Sammi time!! I could be a telemarketer you know! I'll sell you dance lessons! :)
Student loans are evil!! I am paying twice the amount i'm supposed to be and though i'm making a good dent i'm years away from paying it off! Makes me sick to my stomache too when i think about what they get out of you!


I do miss you TONS dr. luke, i'm trying to make an effort to pop on msn to say hi (like tonight!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home