Saturday, April 01, 2006

DoRo

Day 1:

My unit (Gold 6) began DoRo (pronounced "dough-row") today. For those of you unaware, DoRo is a two-month internal medicine block that each unit of medical students completes once per year. We have a total of nine students, derived equally from Year 4s, Year 5s, and Year 6s (I'm a Year 4, so this is my first DoRo).

Students are expected to check-up on patients in the hospital every morning, check any labs, write progress notes in patients' charts, and then do sit-down/walking rounds with the residents and attending physician each day. This normally takes most of the morning to accomplish; after that, students are expected to attend noon conference, where a presentation on a different medical topic occurs each weekday. The afternoon is left for new admits, discharges, checking up on any pending labs, as well as plenty of other paperwork and assorted odds and ends. Docents (our attending physicians) also use this time for didactic learning sessions. Students take night call with their residents, as well, helping to admit any new patients to the floor.

I followed my senior partner Mike around the hospital today as he helped "show me the ropes" of inpatient care. He'll be beginning a family practice residency at KU-Wichita after he graduates in two months and is a stand-up kind of fellow. We'll be on call together tomorrow night.

My goal is to post at least one short item about each day I'm on DoRo, but I won't make any promises to that effect. I'm motivated right now, but what can I say - I'm no Danielle. ;-)

Also, please be aware that patient names, other identifying information, etc. will be changed to ensure I'm in compliance with HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act). Just FYI.

So, without further ado, today's anecdote: we were rounding on a 58 year old white female with severe jaundice due to liver cirrhosis who had been having trouble breathing the day before. The patient was fairly lethargic and didn't answer questions very actively. After listening to her breath sounds, the attending physician, Dr. S., asked the resident, Dr. A., what the patient's oxygen saturation level was. Dr. A. answered back, "She's at 97." At this point, a bit of life must have come back into the patient, because her eyes flashed open and she forcefully belted out, "I'M NOT 97!!!"

Lesson learned: the sedating effects of disease and pain medication combined are nothing in the face of getting a woman's age wrong.

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Yay!!!!! I am so glad you are gonna write about DoRo. Don't feel pressured to write everyday. Every other will do :::wink:::

Congrats on making it through your 1st day!

PS. Take me off the pedestle LOL

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Adrienne said...

HaHa That is sooo funny. This is a very interesting topic to me. I wish you the best of luck. You will make a fabulous doctor I am sure, and I bet you are so excited...well at least i am excited for you.

:)

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I couldn't have passed the Gold DoRo baton to anyone better!! Which side are you on? You must be with Dr. A ;) because he is on-call tomorrow and so are you. :) Enjoy the day. He is great. A little crazy, but super nice. I was on-call last Sunday with him. Ask about Ava, his new baby, he loves to show pictures of her off! Good luck Lucas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home