Saturday, July 30, 2005

Spam for Sam

In honour of my favourite Canadian friend, I am posting three articles relating to Canada today. I think it is important to note, however, that their newsworthiness is immaterial next to the knowledge that I took top honours in Sam's recent test. Woot! I'm not one to get mushy, but seriously, I <3 this girl! =D

Yuppers. Now, for the day's readings:


Canada and Denmark Fight Over Island the Size of a Wal-Mart Parking Lot

BBC - A row between Canada and Denmark over who has sovereignty over a tiny Arctic island has moved to the internet. A Canadian man and an apparently Danish rival have each bought an advert on Google laying claim to Hans Island.

Toronto resident Rick Broadhead said he paid for his own ad after spotting another saying "Does Hans sound Canadian? Danish name, Danish island". Denmark sent a letter of protest after Canada's defence minister paid a visit to the rocky outcrop last week.

The status of the island - an uninhabited speck barely 100 metres wide between Canada's Ellesmere Island and Greenland - has been disputed for more than 30 years...

"To my knowledge this is the first time that a squabble has ever broken out between two nations on Google," he told Reuters news agency.

The Mathematics of Canada Goose Poop

(Note: This one isn't technically about Canada, but it's close enough.)

MARY LYNN SMITH, MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL STAR TRIBUNE
- Goose poop may seem a trivial matter - until you do the math. One Canada goose produces about 2 pounds of dung a day. That's nearly 600 pounds a week from a flock of just 40 birds. Consider the fact that the Minneapolis area has about 17,500 of these giant birds, and you have a heck of a lot of goose droppings on trails, golf courses, parks, beaches and corporate grounds.

Millionaire Who Doesn't Own Car Buys Canadian Ghost Town

NRIS - The Millionaire Who Bought a Town likes to save a buck. He breakfasts at McDonald's, flies economy class and asks for a doggie bag when he doesn't finish his meal at cheap motel restaurants.

But when, several months ago, the Virginia-based businessman saw a news story about a whole town up for sale in remote western Canada, he called the same day to offer a check for $5.7 million, site unseen.

Today, Krishnan Suthanthiran owns Kitsault, a ghost town abandoned by miners' families more than 22 years ago and preserved like a museum display of suburbia, though one through which bears occasionally wander. (BEAR CITY! BEAR, BEAR CITY!)

Suthanthiran, who was born in India and made his fortune selling medical devices and real estate in the Washington area, said he jumped at the chance to buy Kitsault because, “one, it is beautiful up there, and two, I couldn't believe it wasn't being used. I said if nobody else could figure out what to do with a town, I can.''

And if that wasn't enough maple-leaved goodness for one day, I suppose I could start singing: O, Canada... ...

Yeah, that's all I know.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Sammers said...

A WHOLE POST FOR ME?! *gasp* I love it! And you rock my socks too, get as mushy as you'd like! ha!

What strange articles you picked for us... goose poop, google fights and buying out small canadian towns. We sound crazy. I love it.

O, Canada! Remind me to teach you the rest :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home