Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Obama vs. Da Bears

It looks like Illinois' Senate race is shaping up between Barack Obama and Mike Ditka (now that Jack Ryan had to resign).

I honestly think Obama will win (which is good, because I like the guy). But after voters picked movie actor Arnold Schwarzenegger in California and wrestler Jesse Ventura in Minnesota, I'm left thinking:


A Tribune sports columnist wonders what a Ditka/Obama debate would look like.


Obama: "I'm particularly concerned about the economy. We have thousands of people in the state of Illinois who are unemployed. Too many good, hard-working citizens are having a difficult time making ends meet."

Ditka: "It's nothing that a good steak at Mike Ditka's Restaurant, 100 E. Chestnut St., wouldn't solve."

(Audience cheers.)

Obama: "I'm not sure what that has to do with the issues, Mr. Ditka. We've got a real problem out there."

Ditka: "Well, it's a lot like the 1985 Bears …"

(Audience cheers louder.)

Obama: "If we could get back to what's important to the voters of Illinois. Now, my idea of leadership … "

Ditka: "Tell me again how many Super Bowls you've won, pal."

(Audience members carry Da Coach out of the room on their shoulders.)


This theoretical debate performance notwithstanding, I'm still for Barack...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home