Monday, June 21, 2004

Recommended Reading

With all the Muslim-American "conflicts/bad blood" around the world (Saudi/Iraq/Afghanistan/Palestine/etc,etc), it would be interesting to here your take on the reasons for this (such as sources of anger, just so everyone is clear) and maybe more importantly, steps to change attitudes. Do we withdraw from Saudi Arabia, as is the feeling of many Muslims.... What can we do now with Iraq..... And any other comments you might have on this large topic would be interesting. -Keith

Each of these questions is deserving of a thorough response, but I'm too tired at the moment to attempt to do them justice here and now. Instead, I've posted some stuff I've written about similar subjects in the past. Hopefully, the facts and opinions found therein might shed some light on these issues for you. I've selected essays I originally wrote for my Politics of the Middle East class that specifically address Modernization in the Middle East, the Role of the Military in Saudi Arabia and Turkey, and a recounting of the factors leading to the first Palestinian Intifada. I hope you find them enlightening, but if you want to learn more, I strongly recommend reading Arthur Goldschmidt Jr.'s A Concise History of the Middle East. It's 500 pages long, but it flows very well. You'll finish it in a few hours and know a lot more about "that place that's always in the news" than you did before you started it.

1 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for enlightening the masses.
-Keith

 

Post a Comment

<< Home